Staying safe whilst online dating is important and necessary, however if you follow the following 10 guidelines you will avoid the dangers and have much more fun whilst dating online.
1. Use online messaging until you are comfortable. – Using online messaging you can determine whether a connection you have made is worth exploring further. It is easy over time by judging the tone of the messages you receive to know if you feel comfortable with this person, and if they are sincere.
2. Do not give out personal information at first. – Since by email your contact can be anonymous you need not give out your full name telephone number etc. to the other individual. Only after you feel comfortable should you exchange personal information.
3. Meet in public place. – When you do decide you trust the person and feel comfotable enough to meet you should always do so in a public place somewhere where you feel safe.
4 Meet in a group or bring a friend. – If you do decide on a personal meeting it may be fun to go out in a group or bring a friend along, this will make you feel more at ease.
5. Set up a free email account just for your online dating. – There are so many great free online email service on the web, you should use this to your advantage. It is also possible through services like skype to set up free online telephone contact that is also totally anonymous.
6. Ask for personal references. – It may make you more comfortable to ask your contact for a personal reference or two.
7. Do not buy anything or lend money. – Unfortunately there are a very small minority of people who see online dating as a perfect place to find people they can scam out of money.
8. Exchange phone contact safely. – when you give out your phone number try to give a work number or an online phone service contact that cannot be traced.
9. Exchange photos safely. – Ask for a picture to be sure your contact is telling the truth about their looks. Always exchange pictures via your online email accounts.
10. It’s your decision. – Only you can decide whether you feel a personal meeting is worthwhile use your instincts and listen to what they are telling you.
If you follow these tips your online dating experiences should be nothing but positive fun and importantly safe.